Write specification for rights management
|Assignee:||Alexander Blum||% Done:|
|Category:||-||Estimated time:||3.00 h|
|Target version:||Prototype 1.1) API Specification|
This description is copy&pasted from #691 and are a first draft of specifications on right management.
We have 3 different right subjects:
- performance (= ancillary copyright?)
We have possibly several different right objects:
- text (as in liner notes)
We have the dimensions of
- Identification ("Right holder")
- all 3 right subjects might be transferable or not, depending on the legal system
- if transferred, the right is "represented/owned by" or "licensed to" (?) one or more parties (persons or companies, usually collecting societies/labels/producers)
- Accounting (utilization/allocation/distribution)
- the distribution key is defined by the collecting society, e.g. composition/performance/text (similar to the old impwiki page), which already relate those 3 right subjects
- depending on the type of utilization, different right holder want to be asked for permission and have a piece of the cake
- what rights are relevant for distribution? what about e.g. those "flat rates" for publisher?
I might be unsatisfied with the current (theory of) models of those things, because
- The concept of copyright owners as general pointer does not allow to track, why it is a copyright owner (hard to administer later on?)
- We have different ways to express the transfer/representation of rights, e.g.
- Creation Tariff Category -> Collecting Society
- Creation Contribution / Performance -> Neighbouring Rights Society
- We have both implicit and explicit definitions of right subjects, e.g.
- Creation Contribution / Composition -> authorship and Creation Tariff Category -> copyright
- Creation Contribution / Text -> authorship + copyright
- We have different ways to model right objects, e.g.
- Creation -> Music (full object)
- Creation Contribution / Text -> Lyrics (field of "sub" object)
- We might have different kind of objects relevant for distribution (release contribution could be a step towards a more general representation)
#11 Updated by Alexander Blum almost 2 years ago
[Mixin] Rightsholder: subject interface? object interface? contribution interface? successor interface? right [List: "Copyright", "Ancillary Copyright"] from [Date] through [Date] territory [-> Country] collecting_society [-> CollectingSociety] CreationRightsholder(Rightsholder): subject [-n-1-> Artist; soft required] object [-n-1-> Creation; soft required] contribution [-> Dependant List; soft required right == Copyright: "Lyrics", "Composition" right == Ancillary Copyright: "Instrument", "Production", "Mixing", "Mastering"] successor [-n-1-> CreationRightsholder] instruments [-1-n-> Instrument; mandatory if right == Ancillary Copyright and contribution == "Instrument" invisible else] ReleaseRightsholder(Rightsholder): subject [-n-1-> Artist; soft required] object [-n-1-> Release; soft required] contribution [-> Dependant List; soft required right == Copyright: "Artwork", "Text", "Layout" right == Ancillary Copyright: "Production", "Mixing", "Mastering"] successor [-n-1-> ReleaseRightsholder] Creation: rightsholders [-1-n-> CreationRightsholders] Release: rightsholders [-1-n-> ReleaseRightsholders]
- "Leistungsschutzrecht" = ancillary copyright (neighbouring rights > ancillary copyright)
- All subjects are artists for now. This won't be possible for phonographic rights, as they might be represented by (or transfered to?) Labels, Publishers and probably Parties in general
- CreationContribution is not needed anymore, might be rewritten to CreationRightsholder
- CreationRole is used only for Instruments and should be renamed into "Instrument"
- Territory could also be sets of countries - it is unclear, if the tryton Country Object is meant for that (to decide with Udo)
- Country does not make sense in some cases (e.g. Contribution == "Instrument"), and should be invisible for these cases. It might be, that all ancillary copyright contributions do not make sense, but this needs further specification. For now it is ok to be visible in all cases
- The choice of the collecting society for a tariff category will be made on creation level, not for each creation artist